Friday 2 July 2010

Tools for the Klimt cane

The other day a parcel dropped on my mat and it was the clay gun I had bought from Ebay. And what a very exciting purchase it is. I've been dying to try out the Klimt cane technique (a pattern of multiple circles which looks curiously like a work of Klimt) which I have seen dotted around the internet and also in Donna Kato's Millefiori book. So for this purpose alone the gun seems like a very useful little tool. It arrived in pieces so I suppose I have to fix it together.

The process looks fairly simple: roll out several rolls of coloured clay, stack them and squeeze them through the clay gun. However having never used a clay gun before, and in fact having not yet even removed the gun from the packet I have yet to find out if this will prove to be more difficult than expected. Following Donna Kato's instructions it still seems to be a mystery as to how the gun produces the variation of colour but I am sure that magic must happen somewhere along the way.

I do have another minor issue at the moment, which is that I have run out of usable clay. This is why I have been so keen to try out the methods of using scrap clay. It's about all I have left! So I really need to go out and buy a load of new packs.

No comments:

Post a Comment