Friday 11 June 2010

Micashift video

Today I stumbled across the most amazing demo on Youtube of how to make micashift beads. Basically this process uses the mokume gane technique and it's something I'm really excited to try out, but first I need to purchase the tools for the job - basically some metallic clay in various colours and a rubber stamp to create the design. I have read about this technique in various places but always thought it seemed a bit too advanced for my level. But this video surprised me and made it seem manageable. I think it's really helpful to see someone demonstrate a technque rather than just read instructions from a book. You get a better idea of where the pitfalls are and by seeing it in action, it can be easier to mimic the process.

One of the interesting comments made in the video was the recommendation to use wax paper to lay the clay on. Apparently this helps to ensure the clay doesn't stick to the table. The other useful tools are shape cutters. My local hobby store has a limited selection, but I haven't yet purchased any. In this case the demonstrator has simply used a small piece of card as a template for the square beads. It just shows how you can use anything at your disposal and that you don't always need specific tools for the task.

No comments:

Post a Comment