Monday 31 May 2010

Revelations

Nothing profound but...I made some discoveries today. Going back to my teenage years (many moons ago now) I remember working with slips, glazes and clays to sculpt all kinds of wierd creations, in particular a huge male head which unfortunately met its demise during the firing process when it exploded. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that I've suddenly realised how much I miss it. It was dirty, messy and the clay ended up everywhere, but I enjoyed it, and to some extent a part of me has been missing throughout these years of dull office life.

Discovering polymer clay has opened up that world of possibility to me again. It's highly unlikely I will ever have the space, time and expensive kiln to create earthenware, so for me polymer clay is a revelation. For one it doesn't require any water, it can be fired or baked in a normal oven, and the choice of coloured clay replaces the difficult task of using coloured slips and glazes.

I've also started to see how the fundamental process of building canes can be used to create endless designs, so now I'm inspired to try something of my own using the basic techniques of the skinner blend and flower cane.

No comments:

Post a Comment